Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New Liquor Store in Town: Spec's


(Author's Note: My apologies for the long absence. The last two months have been pretty personally challenging; hopefully, all that is behind me. I plan to post at least once a week....there's a LOT going on in and around San Antonio!!......LB)


Attending a recent Tweetbabes event at Bin555 last week, @bkearney asked me if I'd yet been to the new Spec's Liquor. Why no, no I haven't, I replied. A good field trip for a Saturday. (On IH-35, just outside of 1604, across from The Forum shopping center. Coming from town, exit Forum Pkwy and turn around. We wasted half a tank of gas trying to get there on various feeder streets; can't be done.)

Having grown up in Houston, I am familiar with Spec's and its bespectacled rabbit icon. I had no idea they'd opened a store here. They have over 50 stores in Houston, Austin, Beaumont (and now here); the same family has owned and operated it for over 45 years.

The store features a huge selection of liquor, wine, beer, cigars, and gourmet foods. We found cachaca (a Brazilian rum-like liquor we discovered last year in New York), a huge selection of whiskey and bourbon, and even our "corn squeezins" (an awful bottled Georgia moonshine we inflict on our friends). Post-visit, we realized we'd forgotten to look for absinthe, but I'm sure they have it.

Prices are comparable to other area stores, with a 5% discount offered for cash payments.

I highly recommend a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment