Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Wonderful new "Taste" Section in the Express-News


I am a child of my generation....I really enjoy the newspaper. I spend all day in front of a computer. Other than breaking news, I don't want to sit more hours in front of a screen, reading in-depth analysis or local stories. I've been saddened over the years to watch our newspaper get smaller and smaller.

I was ecstatic, therefore, when editor Robert Rivard (www.twitter.com/editorrivard) announced several weeks ago the expansion of the Sunday "Taste" section. A few years back, the Express-News moved "Taste" from Sunday to Wednesday and shrunk it considerably, much to my disappointment. So I couldn't wait to see the new version last week...the first time in years, to my knowledge, that the paper has actually expanded.

The section is a hit! Editor Karen Haram (www.twitter.com/mySA_Food) strikes just the right balance between recipes, features on local foodies, beer/wine/healthy eating columns, chef profiles, and of course, restaurant reviews. I often tell Bruce I won't visit a restaurant until the Express-News has reviewed it. (Unless it's one of Chef Jason Dady's, of course.) I am particularly enjoying Pat Mozersky's column on "Chef's Secrets."

Today's section includes:
  • Local meat markets
  • Recipes for hearty winter soups
  • Healthy remakes for holiday foods
  • Reviews of Francesca's at Sunset and Global Inspiration
  • An interview with Patricia Reisz of Patty Lou's Restaurant

If you don't subscribe, it's worth picking up a Sunday paper just for this fabulous section.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment