Thursday, October 20, 2016

First Step: Tree Removal/Trimming

Volunteer trees along back deck rail
Our first step: removing volunteer trees and several crepe myrtles sited too close to the house.

We’ve needed a trim for a while now. Windy storms would blow branches into several areas of the house. And the tree guys needed to finish before the “exterior work” guys arrived. The fewer trees they have to get around, the better. We’ll do another “cosmetic” trim closer to listing time.
Volunteers outside the music room window

When I walked around with the estimator, I asked him to get rid of every single volunteer tree/bush he found. I’ve hated those scraggly things for years, and I could never fully eliminate them. (The one along the deck rail in the back was particularly resilient.) After their removal, he suggested going around every couple of weeks with a bottle of Round-Up to squirt any new growth; after a few rounds, they’ll quit trying. I already have my bottle at the ready.

I happened to be in the music room when they felled the big volunteer tree. It was as if someone opened a dark curtain. I love how much more light reaches that room now. The outside isn’t much to look at now, but I have plans this winter for mulch, a simple border, and some kind of garden art. (*No* Weeping Angels allowed.)
Cutting the volunteers away


Taking out the two volunteers along the back deck rail opened things up and makes the upper backyard more visible.
Look, no more volunteers!


I was surprised at how much they hauled away. One guy had to cut branches with his chain saw and jump up and down on the pile so it would all fit in their trailer.
And no volunteers here either!

After seeing the end result, we both said, “We should have done this a *long* time ago.” I suspect we’ll be saying that a lot over the next few weeks. My sister keeps telling me, “You won’t want to move!” But unless they figure out a way to shave off the second story, we’ll be happy to leave, no matter how good it looks.
Full trailer

Next up: power washing away 18 years of dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment