Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Unexpected Summer Trip to France: Part 1


I posted earlier this summer about my surprise trip to France with my sister’s church choir. We had lots of once-in-a-lifetime experiences, great food, and a semaine merveilleuse.

My first post….well, the Tour de France of course. This super-fan (with the "slight Tour de France obsession;" see my logo) could not miss the chance to see a stage in person. (And my non-cycling-fan sister was happy to come along. I mean, it’s the Tour de France.) On July 5, the choir moved from Normandy to Paris, stopping at several sights that both Mary and I visited in the past. We left our luggage with a choir member and boarded a train from Normandy to Rouen, where stage 5 started later in the day. (We both brushed up on our French and can read French train schedules, so we were quite comfortable heading out on our own.)

Our early start paid off. Despite ominous clouds and air heavy with the scent of rain, we lucked out—no precipitation today. We secured a prime spot in front of the stage where all riders sign in before the stage begins. We could have chosen a spot along the route through Rouen, but then, you see the cyclists zip by quickly in a blur of color and you’re done. Other than the rude woman who kept pushing Mary from behind, we had one of the best seats in the house. (Hello, madame: if you want a prime spot, get here four hours early like we did.) If you plan a similar visit, wear comfortable shoes, don’t drink a lot of liquids prior/during (if you leave your spot, you’ve lost it), and be prepared to stand for several hours. My feet throbbed in protest by the end.

Sadly, the aromas of grilled sausage or fried funnel cake (or even crepes for that matter) didn’t fill the air like they would in the US. The French must have different rules about mobile food. The first sponsors to appear handed out caps and samples of sausage. Others soon tossed out other Tour "swag:" Vittel postcards, Festina wristbands, Skoda candy. We grabbed a bagful of stuff and passed some back to those behind.

The individual sponsors moved out, and the multi-hued caravan began. This lengthy train of vehicles of all shapes and sizes took 35 minutes to move past. We saw cars decorated with baguettes, huge gummy bear figures, and cartoon crackers; Mickey Mouse even made an appearance. Pounding music accompanied the voluble announcer.

Soon, the riders began to appear, and I started filming while Mary snapped photos. (My YouTube channel has the video.) I recognized nearly all of the major players and identified them for Mary. They were quite close, and a couple rode by and signed the Texas flags we brought just for that purpose. (No one famous, but still cool.) Bradley Wiggins, the eventual winner (but not in yellow this day) stopped not ten feet in front of us. I can scratch "seeing all of my favorite riders in person" off my bucket list.

George Hincapie: one of my favorites
Once the stage began, the riders moved out slowly. (The "neutral start" means they don’t start racing until a few minutes later, when the referee determines it’s safe.) The team cars and race support cars (including a few ambulances and a wrecker to deal with any car breakdowns) followed close after.

After all had passed, everything broke up fairly quickly. We headed into Rouen to sit (for the first time in four hours) and grab a bite to eat at a bistro on the main square. We visited a few shops, then walked back to the train station for our ride into Paris.

I may never get another chance to see the Tour in person, so I’m very grateful to my sister for the opportunity. If you’re a cycling fan, you definitely need to figure out how to make it happen!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment