Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Debut of Laura's Lists: This Edition, Vegetarian Lunches



A few months ago, I changed the way I eat. (I don’t believe in diets; you either change the way you eat or you don’t.) I replaced white bread and pasta with whole grain bread/pasta, white rice with brown rice, and potatoes with….well, I haven’t figured out that one yet. (I don’t eat a lot of sweets, so reducing sugar doesn’t require much of a sacrifice.) Note that I said “replace” and not “eliminate”… I still occasionally enjoy French fries and the crisp and tender crust of Dough pizza. We also observe Meatless Monday (which, due to schedule issues, moved to Tuesday), and I set a goal to eat meat only once per day. (The notable exception: bacon when Bruce fixes breakfast on some Saturdays. I could never actually go vegetarian. My DNA includes a gene requiring periodic bacon intake. Sorry Karen.)




I’ve discovered that whole grains and brown rice have a rich, nutty flavor—much more complex than plain white bread. They keep me feeling fuller longer, reducing the afternoon snack craving. And I’ve lost ten additional pounds (with irregular exercise) since starting the plan. (Please check with your doctor before making any major diet changes.)




I’ve been searching for good places for a vegetarian lunch, with some specific requirements. Hu-Hot, for example, has great potential, with its colorful display of veggies and noodles and the aromas of griddling peppers and onions. But they only serve white rice, and all of their noodles are wheat- or rice-based. I don’t care for roasted vegetables or Portobello mushrooms, frequent denizens of vegetarian menus. And “eating vegetarian” requires more planning than just throwing a bunch of veggies on the plate. Do that, and your tummy will be rumbling in a couple of hours.




I’ve selected my top five (in no particular order) places for a vegetarian, whole-grain lunch. The good news: more and more places have added whole grain options to their menus. I hope the trend continues.




1) Freebirds World Burrito @freebirds_wb: Opening in Texas in 1991 directly across from the main campus of Texas A&M, Freebirds provides many choices. Not only do you choose your fillings (with plenty of vegetarian options), you also choose your wrap….and one choice is whole grain. I always order the smallest burrito, and I still can’t finish it. Very filling and satisfying without the heaviness that leads to the afternoon snoozles.

2) California Pizza Kitchen @calpizzakitchen: you can request whole grain crust on all their pizzas, and many of their pasta selections can be ordered with whole grain. My favorite: the white pizza topped with several rich and creamy cheeses.

3) Carrabba’s Italian Grill @carrabbas: they also offer a whole-grain pasta option on all their signature pastas, many of which are vegetarian.

4) India Oven: their fabulous lunch buffet always includes at least one vegetarian choice. I order the whole grain naan and skip the white rice. The earthy, exotic aromas of garam masala and turmeric make for an interesting change of pace.

5) Jason’s Deli @jasonsdeli: their menu includes several vegetarian soups, vegetarian sandwiches with a whole-grain bread option, and a marvelous salad bar. I skip the diced ham and turkey and fill my plate with hard-boiled eggs, chickpeas and sunflower seeds, all good vegetarian sources of protein.

I hope Hu-Hot and India Oven (and others) start serving brown rice soon. I greatly anticipate the opening of Green Vegetarian Cuisine’s new restaurant nearby.

Please send your suggestions…..I’m always looking for new places!

No comments:

Post a Comment