Thursday, May 5, 2011

Prepping for the Big Trip





My sister Robyn and her family usually visit Walt Disney World for about a week each year. This time, for various good reasons, her hubby couldn't take the time from work. And Robyn can't really manage both her sons ("Thor," age 9, and "Loki," age 4; of course those aren't their real names) by herself. Well, sure she can, but not at a theme park. Poor Thor wouldn't be able to ride anything that Loki couldn't ride. And Thor does enjoy his rides.




I'm not sure how the idea crossed her mind, but a few months ago, she called and asked if I wanted to tag along. I had been considering a fanciful trip around this time anyway (given that my son Sean will be in USMC boot camp and I will be wanting to think about other things), so it took me all of two seconds to say "Sure!!" (Side note on the USMC item: as soon as Sean approves my first post, I'll launch a new "Marine Mom" blog....stay tuned!)



I haven't been to WDW for probably 15 years. Needless to say, it has changed. A lot. Early hours and Fast Passes didn't exist then. (And I'm amongst that demographic that remembers "E ticket rides," so I go back a bit.) Heck, there wasn't even an Animal Kingdom last time I was there. I've wanted to return for some time, but I'm much more of a Disney fan than Bruce, so it has never happened.



And there's a lot to be said for doing WDW with young ones. My nephews and I are very close, even though I'm in San Antonio and they're in north Texas. I don't know if I'm more excited or they are.



I am not worried about travelling with "the boys," or being around three people for six days straight, or even the daily noise. (I work from home, so I'm accustomed to long periods of silence and solitude. Katie the Beagle is a loving and playful companion but isn't much on conversation.) What worries me is my stamina.



WDW may boast a monorail, an impressive bus transportation system, and even boats. But what I do remember from last time is that you walk.



A LOT.



And for six days.



Hmmmm.



My exercise program has fallen by the wayside of late, an unacceptable state of affairs for this trip. So I have resolved to restarting my 3x/week gym visits from now until the day I leave. (And hopefully beyond, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.) That's the only way I'll have a chance to keep up with big, strong Thor and uber-enthusiastic Loki...not to mention their mother.



I just hope they don't leave the doddering 50-year-old aunt/sister in the boats at "Small World." Please. Anything but that.

No comments:

Post a Comment