Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Houston Dining: Kata Robata


On a hunt for a good dining option during my Houston workshop, I found a jewel: Kata Robata (Kirby at Alabama, near River Oaks). It's right across the street from Ninfa's, a Houston Tex-Mex institution and hard to resist. But I've wanted to explore robata for some time.

Open since May 2009, the restaurant features sushi, grilled items, and Japanese-style tapas. Today's daily features included foie gras and unagi (eel) and bichotan beef tongue. The music wasn't too loud, and the subdued lighting and soft background music made for a pleasant atmosphere.

(Observation #1: I always get heightened attention at a restaurant when I start scribbling in my little notebook.)

The meal started with a warm hand towel, which I always appreciate when coming straight from work. (Note to restaurants with any kind of bar...sushi, pizza, beverage, whatever. Please install purse hooks underneath so I don't have to go way down to the floor from my high stool to retrieve it.) I took longer than usual to peruse the unusual offerings on the menu.

To start, I chose an uni chawanmushi. The server explained that this traditional egg custard took 20 minutes to prepare. Not being in a hurry, I enjoyed watching the sushi chefs and sipping my wine.

The small bowl of fish broth, egg custard, and uni (sea urchin roe; pictured) was decadent and smoky, without being too heavy. The broth included shrimp, chicken, and too-large shiitake slices. Overall, though, it was delicious and a great starter.

(Observation #2: When they notice you scribbling in your little notebook, they don't take the menu away, to facilitate taking of notes.)

My helpful server Blake waited to put in my next order until I started my soup. I am a complete sucker for foie gras, so I had to try it. Chef prepared the terrine with some smoked eel broth and served it with pickled apples, a perfect complement. The hibiscus added another layer of texture and flavor.

(Observation #3: single diners, often sufferers of inattentive or too-fast service, improve their evening immeasurably when they start taking notes.)

Only two smallish dishes, but I have a wee appetite (especially for a foodie), and foie gras is beyond rich. So I declared victory.

I highly recommend a visit if you're ever in the medical center, Rice University, or Galleria area. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment