Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Our Mystery Vacation...to Me, Anyway


A few months ago, my fabulous in-laws called with a can't-miss offer...a nearly free week at their condoshare in Maui. If you haven't been, you need to go and soon. Friendly people, breathtaking natural beauty, cooperative and beautiful weather—it has it all. I am usually ready, at the end of a vacation, to get home to my own bed. Six years ago, Bruce had to drag me off the island kicking and screaming. Imagine my irritation, then, when we compared schedules and could not find one week between March and September that we could both take off.

In a fit of pique, I told Bruce, "I'll give you some dates. I want you to book us a long 5-day weekend somewhere. You make all the arrangements. Here's your budget. Don't tell me anything else." So he did.

We leave tomorrow, and it is ridiculous how excited I am. Yes, I could find out if I wanted (I pay the bills, and the airline ticket is listed on the Amex statement). But what fun is that?

I have a few guesses, which I am keeping to myself. I must say, though, that my latest guess, based on the few things that Bruce has told me, is looking very good.

He told me to pack a swimsuit (which I would have done anyway) and a light jacket. He has made only one arrangement at the final destination; he didn't want to overplan. Fine with me. He says the weather is looking good.

My only complaint (and it's a small one)....I'll miss five days of the Tour de France. But Shauna promises to send me text updates on important developments.

I'll blog at least once or twice while there. Wish me "bon voyage!"

No comments:

Post a Comment