Thursday, April 29, 2010

Volunteering at the Central Market Cooking School!


Regular readers and friends know that Bruce and I take classes at the Central Market Cooking School at least a couple of times a month. After several years of sitting and learning, we finally took the plunge and signed up to volunteer.

I must admit...I was a bit skeptical, although excited. Neither Bruce nor I have any waitstaff experience whatsoever, and I was mortified about the possibility of dropping ribs into an attendees lap or giving someone an unexpected shower with the water pitcher. Gratefully, neither occurred.

Volunteers help with class set-up, serve water and individual plates during the class, wash dishes, then clean up afterwards (all with the help of the paid staff, of course). It's a lot of work...we were there five hours, and my hips griped at me mercilessly the next day (despite having worn my comfy, brand-new Crocs). But we really enjoyed it. Even though we were busy, we still picked up some tips from the instructors and sampled some of the dishes after class. Volunteers receive more "punches" on their chefs club cards than regular attendees, so we'll get some class discounts to boot. And I covet their commercial dishwasher; everything all clean and sanitized in less than a minute!

We're hoping that next time, they'll let us help prep and plate the food. It'll also run more smoothly when we don't have to open every single drawer to figure out where the (*#&%(*#& tongs go.

Before you can volunteer, you must sign up for an orientation, which are provided every few months. Just ask at the Cooking School desk for an application, and they'll call you when the next class is scheduled.

No comments:

Post a Comment