Saturday, May 30, 2009

Run, Do Not Walk, to Brasserie Pavil


When I suggested an outing to Brasserie Pavil, I didn't realize it had just been named the "best new restaurant--critic's choice" by the San Antonio Express-News. Really. I didn't. Let me just say....that designation is well-deserved.

Modeled on a classic French brasserie, Chef Scott Cohen has created a menu of French favorites, such as cassoulet, pate de campagne, and steak au poivre. We thoroughly enjoyed our foie gras appetizer. My husband had an off-menu special of grouper, flown in that day from Florida, served with a sweet corn hash.It melted in the mouth. My pate de campagne and gougeres were equally delicious. A perfect Anjou pear tart completed the meal.
(And I learned something today...the difference between a brasserie and a bistro. Follow this link to learn more.)

Pavil serves brunch on Saturdays (11:00 am-5:30 pm) and Sundays (10:30 am-5:30 pm). Weekend mornings are also a good time to make some purchases from the "boulangerie" or bakery. The fresh, crusty bread we had with dinner was delicious.

Our waitress was very knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive.

Pavil has an extensive wine and beer list and a comfortable bar space. A room is available for private dining as well.

My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the space is too big for a classic "bistro" beel, but then, it's a "brasserie." They're going to need all that space when word gets out.

We'll definitely be returning soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment